Friday, January 7, 2011

The PA System of Istanbul

So apparently, everyone in the group was roused early by the call to prayer, except me...because I sleep like a rock. I was most excited about hearing the call early in the morning, but alas, I missed it. Although, it is broadcast over the most ridiculously loud PA system on every minaret in the city five times everyday.
After being woken up by my phone's alarm at 8am, I shuffled up to breakfast on the fourth floor terrace that overlooks the old city and the Sea of Marmara. After a filling meal of bread, cheese, yogurt, and olives...just kidding I was still starving...we got on the bus with our guide Erman. We took a lovely panoramic tour of the city and stopped at various locations to acquaint ourselves with Istanbul. The most memorable of stops were the Grand Bazaar, the largest covered bazaar in the world, and Taksim Square (where the October suicide bombing was).On the last day of the year, I indulged in my favorite food, rice wrapped in grape leaves and some baklava. Mutlu Yillar! (Happy New Year)


-Tinkerbell

No comments:

Post a Comment